Many aspiring writers amass lots of unfinished song ideas, scribbled in notebooks and on the back of envelopes! This course aims to help you move beyond this and produce completed works. It will provide guidance on how you can develop your creativity, structure your writing sessions, consider genre and produce songs you are proud to share with others, whether those are music publishers, other musicians or just your family and friends.
We teach Songwriting as a craft, not just as a series of tricks and tips, and we do this through understanding song structure, lyrical content and melody writing; the building blocks to songwriting. This course will undoubtedly broaden your musical horizons and will draw a much wider world into your songwriting palette. It is a highly practical course and you will be assigned tasks to complete in each module.
The course authors are experienced ICMP tutors and industry professionals Sophie Daniels, Tim Elsenburg and Jonathan Whiskerd. They are recognized professional songwriters who have taught hundreds of aspiring and professional songwriters. Together they have written for or or worked with Simon Cowell, Jamie Cullum, Westlife, Kelly Clarkson, Il Divo, Barbra Streisand, Joshua Blair (Mark Ronson, Bruno Mars), Paul Stanborough (Guy Chambers, Cathy Dennis), Bruce Hughes (Jason Mraz) and Will Hicks (Ed Sheeran, Lily Allen).
On this course you will be guided through the material by a songwriting teacher in the weekly 121 lessons. And of course, whilst the course is six weeks in duration, you retain access to the content so can review whenever you need!
ICMP's unique blended study option* allows you to study online as well as attend a series of live workshops held at ICMP London. These face-to-face live music sessions are an incredible opportunity to really get the most out of your course.
Did you know this course offers a unique blended study option? This means you can study online as well as attend a series of live workshops held at ICMP London. These face-to-face live music sessions are an incredible opportunity to really get the most out of your course.
Find out more
Module 1: Introduction to Songwriting
- Lesson 1: Ethos/approach to songwriting
- Lesson 2: What we’ll cover
- Lesson 3: Building blocks
- Lesson 4: Principles of song analysis
- Lesson 5: Group learning
Module 2: The Creative Process
- Lesson 1: Inspiration is for amateurs
- Lesson 2: Unblocking your creativity
- Lesson 3: Generating song ideas
- Lesson 4: Developing song ideas
- Lesson 5: Creative intention
- Duration: 6 Weeks
- Location: Online
- Start Date: Whenever you're ready!
- Cost: £99 (£199 with optional live workshops at ICMP London)
- Did you know we offer a blended study route for this course meaning you can mix online study with live workshops held right here at ICMP London! Apply and choose optional workshops in drop-down menu.