This songwriting course is industry-led and practically focused. It is designed for those who want to be professional songwriters. It provides an opportunity for intensive and practical study in songwriting while expanding your creative repertoire, extending your knowledge of the music business, and deepening your understanding of the history and culture of songwriting.
On this course, you will benefit from: industry-style ‘Artist and Repertoire’ (A&R) feedback personalised to your individual writing goals; weekly performance classes to showcase your material with a professional band; a wide range of studio-based applications and recording skills tailored for songwriters; opportunities to co-write songs to real music industry briefs with expert feedback and tuition; opportunities to deepen your knowledge of reading, writing and arranging music; and an opportunity to enhance your creative practice by exploring music cultures and contexts through a dissertation research project.
Additionally, students on the BA (Hons) Songwriting degree will be offered many chances to undertake collaborative work, both with other ICMP programmes in London and alongside a range of professional organisations. These opportunities, offered in addition to the curriculum, provide a fantastic chance for students to build their showreels and networks. In the third year of the course, students benefit from a mentorship scheme with an established industry practitioner, providing an opportunity to study and deepen your skills and knowledge in a professional environment.
"I love studying on the BASW because the constructive, nurturing class environment has brought about a dynamic change in my creativity and productivity."
BA (Hons) Songwriting
Fees & Funding
Taking a music degree course at ICMP makes financial sense too, with the fees for ICMP music degrees significantly less than those at many traditional universities, and, also much lower than other UK music education providers - making studying music at ICMP in London great value as well as great fun.
2017/18 Course Fees: £6,300 (UK & EU Students) | £8,900 (Non-EU Students)
For students to be eligible for SLC funding, they must be studying a designated course. This course is designated for SLC loans for 2017-18 - further information can be found here.
We are also very happy to have the Hattie Longfield Bursary available for our BA (Hons) Songwriting degree, visit our Scholarships page to find out more.
Successful completion of programme BA (Hons) Songwriting at ICMP leads to the award of Bachelor of Arts by the University of East London.
- A practice-based exploration of the art and craft of contemporary songwriting
- The personalised learning experience equips you with the knowledge, understanding and skills for successful employment in the music industry
- Develops your unique creative ‘voice’ through structured weekly individual and collaborative songwriting activities
- The London location provides opportunities to perform in gigs at top London venues and immerse yourself in the current music scene
- High-quality teaching by industry practitioners
- Extensive music industry links and access enable you to build that all-important network
- A creative and inspiring learning environment
- A high level of contact teaching hours is delivered in small groups in world-class facilities