The music course will encourage you to develop the highest levels of instrumental skill through individual lessons and personalised learning. You will also develop your leadership and musical management skills through the leading of an ensemble, culminating in a performance of challenging original and existing repertoire.
On the course, you may select from options that include an investigation of a performance tradition, the use of music in health and wellbeing, and the cultural aspects of music. You will also produce a significant body of work for recital, together with supporting research that underpins and informs your final project. The ICMP’s MMus is aimed primarily at individuals who wish to continue their studies after having distinguished themselves on a degree-level course, or who have acquired comparable industry experience and are committed to attaining even greater mastery of their respective instruments.
“I have learnt the skills for better time management, academic writing, music arrangement, aural training, various kinds of research methods…critical thinking…self-discipline, and leadership in a band.”
Hung Fai Chan
MMus in Popular Music Performance
Student support for masters courses is available to students studying at ICMP from the academic year 2017-18.
Eligible students on designated masters courses at ICMP will be able to access the postgraduate masters loan in the same way and at the same value as they could at a publicly funded provider. Individuals will be able to borrow up to £10,000.
Courses at ICMP are designated each year by the Department for Education. Click here for more information.
Successful completion of programme MMus Popular Music Performance at ICMP leads to the award of Master of Music by the University of East London.
- The personalised learning experience equips you with the knowledge, understanding and skills for successful employment in the music industry
- One-to-one instrumental lessons with the tutor of your choice and individual research supervision
- The London location provides opportunities to perform in gigs at top London venues and immerse yourself in the current music scene
- High-quality teaching by industry practitioners
- Extensive music industry links and access enable you to build that all-important network
- A creative and inspiring learning environment
- You can focus on realising your unique identity as a musician
- Combines advanced performance with rigorous scholarship
- Enhances your creativity and confidence as a performer and academic
- One year full-time or two years part-time study